The US-China Strong (USCS) Foundation’s mission is to strengthen American capacity to understand China through Mandarin language learning, study in China, and other programs.
The Foundation engages U.S. and Chinese government, business, and academic communities to expand the number and diversity of Americans studying abroad in China and learning Mandarin. We invest in strategic partnerships at the state and local levels and empower student ambassadors to promote the Foundation’s mission at the grassroots level. USCS enjoys the strong support of U.S. and Chinese private and public sector partners.
US-China Strong leads campaigns that focus on supporting the full spectrum of American youth, spanning from our youngest students through young professionals entering China-related careers.
Youth Leadership Symposium Background:
Perfect World (PW), a world-renowned Chinese gaming company and USCS supporter, is sponsoring a group of 30 English-speaking undergraduate students from The University of Electronic Science and Technology of China to travel to the U.S. for a three-week program to develop leadership qualities and immerse themselves in American culture. The students will be visiting Maryland, Washington, D.C. and New York. During their second week in the U.S., USCS will host these students and lead a week-long series of diverse activities, which will include the participation of American students. These activities include attending conferences with leading U.S. government and business representatives, iconic D.C. official events such as a tour of The Capitol, and leadership development workshops. Events include, but are not limited to, the following activities:*
- Dinner Reception with the Education Minister Counselor
- Executive Leadership Seminar hosted by Gideon Culman, founder of K Street Coaching
- Keynote Speeches by leading government and business representatives
- Crisis Simulation Module hosted by Johns Hopkins University
- Tour of the U.S. Capitol
- Team-building community service project
- Quintessential 1940s American Swing Dancing at the Jam Cellar
- Nationals vs Reds baseball game at Nationals Park
- Tour of iconic D.C. museums such as The Museum of American History and The African American Heritage Museum
US-China strong is seeking friendly and engaging American delegates to welcome Chinese students to D.C. No prior knowledge of China or Mandarin is needed. Accepted students are required to attend all 18 planned events spanning the 5-day Symposium; exceptions will be made for emergency situations.
Registration is free, and all events and meals are included!
- Currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and unofficial transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 16. Applicants will be selected on a rolling basis.
*Please note that events are subject to change by the planning committee.